This Bitcoin Social Tipping Startup Raised $3.5M in Seed FundingDecember 7, 2014    By : LTP Team
ChangeTip is a popular social media tipping platform. The company recently announced that it has raised a $3.5 million Seed Round. Bitcoin investment firm Pantera Capital led the round. Other investors included Bold Start Ventures, DCG, CryptoCurrency Partners, 500 Startups. This latest round of funding will be used for product enhancement, platform engineering development, and user acquisition.
ChangeTip is a Bitcoin-enabled social media tipping platform by which users can send any amount of money over 35 different social media platforms or content showcase channels (including Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, and GitHub). Users can reward content creators with small amounts of money by way of a simple online comment or reply.
Typical tipping events include:
- people tipping one another for comment appreciation, or as a gift
- people tipping to reward insightful publications or worthy content marketing material
- tipping favourite musicians, actors, writers or other public figures
- tipping songs or drawings; tipping in place of the “Like” or “Upvote” buttons to give the action practical meaning
- tipping as a way to repay small debts
- tipping as a way to make small donations to charities and other non-profit entities
“The social media phenomenon of ‘tipping’, or expressing one’s appreciation over the Internet with small monetary or other digital gifts, is building momentum,” said Nick Sullivan, ChangeTip founder and CEO, in an official press release. “With ChangeTip, a million users can tip $0.01 and the content creator can collect his $10,000, an impossibility in a legacy payments world.”
ChangeTip connects over 50,000 social media or content showcase accounts. The service facilitates transaction sizes ranging from $0.00001 up to $100. Since its inception, the company’s user base has grown 30% month-over-month. High demand plus ease of use have ignited its recent viral adoption and use on Reddit and Twitter.
Bitcoin’s advantages include global reach, security due to decentralization, speed, negligible fees, and no minimum transaction size. Credit cards, SWIFT, ACH, SEPA, and other legacy payments rails maintain hard fee floors and minimum transaction speeds, limiting the ability to transfer value optimally to others. At certain price points, sending money through these rails is too expensive, too slow, or too inconvenient.
Latest posts by LTP Team (see all)
- Want Your FinTech Innovation to Reach 848 Million Consumers? - March 23, 2017
- MEDICI now! The UnBrokerage Story - March 22, 2017
- Why You Should Apply to the BridgeCommunity Right Now - March 21, 2017